The Purpose of the BC Wine Appreciation Society
In support of the enhancement of knowledge and interest in the Wines of British Columbia, the purpose of the non-profit Society is:
- to organize wine tasting events or dinners helping members to appreciate and increase their knowledge of the Wines of British Columbia;
- to provide a link between members, the BC Wine Industry and each other;
- to provide the opportunity for the social interaction of its members;
- to act as a forum for discussion about the Wines of British Columbia and Wine Education generally, and to promote and further knowledge about the Wines of British Columbia;
- to encourage members to participate in appropriate activities related to the Wines of British Columbia;
- to encourage the BC Wine Industry to take into account the wishes of our members;
- to facilitate interaction with other BC Wine Industry organizations.
Who are we?
We are a group of BC Wine lovers who could not find any place to celebrate and praise the quality and wide variety of the wines produced in British Columbia.
Why the BC Wine Appreciation Society?
The marked improvement in the BC Wine Industry during the last two decades has brought international recognition and a large number of quality awards to our local wine producers.
We are proud of these achievements and we want to create a venue where BC Wines can be showcased and celebrated.
What do we do?
- Have tastings where several BC Wines of the same varietals either from different wineries or of different years from the same winery can be compared and enjoyed in a relaxed but informative manner;
- Enjoy dinners where wines appropriate to each particular course can be tasted, compared and discussed;
- Have fun comparing wines corked with genuine corks, plastic or screw tops...Nothing serious and ending in a blind taste challenge!
- Arrange a lunch or weekend visits to BC Wineries: local, on Vancouver Island or the Okanagan;
- Anything else our members can suggest that promotes the ambiance of good wine and good company.
Thank you to the Georgia Straight for designating us as Best Way to Cut the B.S. about BC Wines Best of Vancouver 2006 (Contributors' Choices).